100g, 250g, 500g
Sambar is a traditional South Indian dish prepared using vegetables, tamarind juice, spices and dal, . At home, we prepare a mix called Sambar Powder, using which preparing Sambar becomes very easy.
Balali's Vishalam Madras Sambar Powder, uses the recipe typically passed on by our Grandmothers from one generation to the other. Our formula is unique and has the right ingredients in the right proportion.
We have used only the first grade ingredients, which have been individually roasted and ground together, to ensure that you get the authentic taste of Tamil Brahmin's home.
Red Chilli, Coriander Seed, Toor Dal, Bengal Gram, Urad Dal, Roasted Gram, Curry Leaf, Turmeric Powder, Asafoetida, Fenugreek Seed, Black Pepper.
- Contains NO added chemicals - 100% natural product
- No Artificial color
- No artificial flavor
- No added preservatives
- No Palm Oil. No Oil Reuse.
How to Use
Sambar Recipe - serves 4
- Boil 100g Toor dal or 125g Masoor Dal in a pressure cooker and allow it to cook till soft. You can add a quarter spoon of til oil and a pinch of asafoetida - this will make the dal soft and fragrant. Once cooked, mash it into a paste and keep aside.
- Take a medium lemon sized tamarind and soak for 15 minutes in 100 ml water. Extract juice by squeezing the tamarind and add 350 ml water. Add 2 spoon of Balali's Vishalam Madras Sambar Powder (20 gms), salt to taste, and curry leaves in the tamarind juice and keep aside for atleast 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep bottom fry pan and add mustard seed, and add 1 green or 1 red chili and allow to splutter.
- Add 150g of any vegetable and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are half cooked in oil, add the mixed tamarind juice and boil for 10 minutes in medium flame.
- Once the sambar is 80% cooked and once the raw fragrance of the tamarind / sambar powder is gone, add the mashed dal paste in the pan.
- Optional : Add ground coconut for additional taste. Boil for another 3-4 minutes.
- Season with coriander leaves, put off the flame.
- Cover a lid to the pan for 10 minutes for the fragrance of Balali's Vishalam Madras Sambar Powder to settle in well before use.
This product has been prepared in a facility that processes, milk products, wheat products, peanuts, tree nuts and sesame seeds.